Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Linens and Lace

I have always loved old linens and lace.  I am always on the look out for them at antique malls and garage sales. They are so beautiful and delicate.  They just have a romance about them and they always seem to make me smile.  I love having stacks of folded linens just sitting around.  Linens are one thing I can never have to many of. 






  
 A couple weeks ago I found this lace tablecloth at an antique mall for $4.50, of course I bought it.  It had really yellowed badly and had stains on it so I soaked it in Oxy-clean.  Surprisingly that did not get the yellow out, in fact it made it look worse.  The edges got whiter which made the middle look yellower.  Even after soaking it again it did not get the yellow out.  I went to plan B which was to coffee stain it.  I prefer to use coffee instead of tea to stain linens.  I think coffee staining gives it a more vintage look than tea.


All I did was brew a couple pots of strong coffee and soaked the tablecloth in it.  I like to let whatever I'm staining soak over night then in the morning I get up, gently rinse it and hang it out to dry.






 Get those linens out you have tucked away and admire them.  

Thanks for stopping by.

I am linking this post to My Romantic Homes Show and Tell Friday, Common Grounds Vintage Inspiration Friday, and French Country Cottage Feathered Nest Friday.  Just click on the buttons below to go to the link parties.

20 comments:

  1. What pretty linens and I've never coffee stained anything. Does it smell like coffee when you're finished? :)
    I have tea stained before.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of the folded linens. I may try something similar in my guest room which is vintage style. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love your lace and the table cloth turned out great! Lace is so full of charm and romance...

    Veronica
    www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, I love the coffee staining. I will have to try that on some of my lace and linens. I also love that you stacked them on the silver tray. I am going to take mine out of the closet and display them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your linens and lace are so pretty. Love the coffee staining idea, I've never tried that. I'll have to keep my eye out for linens at the next flea market! And, thank you for becoming a follower. Have a good day.
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH how GORGEOUS!!! LOVE those laces all stacked up like that...and I agree...coffee staining seems to look better than tea. So glad you shared so I could find your blog!
    Blessings, Doni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beatiful! I've done this once before, long ago. It turned out nice. Your linens look so pretty neatly folded on that tray. That's such a pretty vignette.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your stacked linen on a silver plate idea. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am a linen lover too!! A friend just gave me a box full of lovelies and it was so fun going through each piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look of folded linens too! Yours are just wonderful! I'll have to try your coffee method.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the folded linens presented on a silver tray! And the tableclothe is oh-so pretty!

    Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!! If there are 500 entries, the amount will increase the Gift Card to $100.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am visiting via Romantic Homes.

    What wonderful collection!

    Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, Love the linens stacked on the Silver tray & the way that Coffee stained tablecloth came out is Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh,what a beautiful post! When I saw those linens stacked on a silver tray, I swooned! Love the idea, love your blog, I'm following you!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too love vintage linens and this cloth is gorgeous. I am surprised the Oxy didn't work!!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    Exciting New $150 Giveaway from Dr Perricone! Artful Beauty from the inside and out! Come and Enter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your table cover looks amazing, all that work someone has put in it, I love it, stained and all.
    Hugs,
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have nailed this blog post. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It turned out so pretty! Sometimes that is just the best way to go, thanks for sharing the inspiration at VIF, xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative posts here. Can you please share them at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW...your ideas are the greatest!! You must try Murphy's oil soap on your vintage linens...it works really well...and if that doesn't work...then do the coffee stain.

    Love your Blog!!

    Hugs,
    lu

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...